Football, is a sport loved by many countries, especially in the United States of America. Not to be confused with soccer, it is not that common as far as countries are considered. However, it is prevalent in the limited countries that it is present. The league that plays this sport in the USA is called National Football League, or NFL for short. With a total league revenue of over 17 billion dollars, the league’s championship is an attraction for both advertisers and consumers. The Superbowl is iconic and features shows by the top artists and commercials unveiling new products or film trailers.
Is it Rugby?
Rugby is a different sport. It has its roots in rugby. The only difference is the rules between the two sports. While there are many differences between them, one significant difference between them is the number of players. Rugby has 15 players, and substitutions are limited. Meanwhile, the other sport has only 11 players, but these players can be substituted as many times as they require during the duration of the match.
Roles in the sport
There are three leading roles in the sport under which all the players are classified.
- Offense – Players in this role are meant to be scoring against the other team. The way to score these points is to either score a touchdown or through a field goal. Multiple positions come under this role.
- Quarterback – Usually known as the star of the field, a quarterback is responsible for passing the ball to their teammates in the initial stage of the play. The quarterback sets the pace of the game and must have reasonable control over the field.
- Offensive linemen – When a member is trying to score a point, multiple people in the opposition will try to stop the player, and it is the responsibility of the offensive linemen to prevent it and give the scorer an opportunity.
- Running back – Their role is to take the ball and run across the field to score a point. They must have reasonable control of the field, as the opposition will be trying to tackle them throughout their journey.
- Wide receivers – Their primary purpose is to receive the ball when their teammate throws it to them. Usually, their teammates have an idea where they are before they get the ball and so they can immediately throw the ball for the receiver to catch.
- Defense – Once the opposing team possesses the ball, it must reorganize itself to stop the other team from scoring a point. They also have multiple positions, but their roles are not as well defined as the offensive role. Their responsibility is to prevent the scoring by the other side in any way possible.
- Special Teams – Other than the two leading roles, players must perform certain activities in case of any special situations like stoppage of the game. The two leading positions are the kicker and punter.
It is important to note that football is a sport that has a position for every single person on the team. Unlike other sports, players are not forced to choose either offense or defense. The versatility makes it one of the most entertaining sports in the world.
You could visit https://jerseydepot.co/ for more information about NFL in the United States.